It is our privilege to pay tribute to a long-time friend and collaborator, Roger Rolfes. Roger recently accepted the Regional Public Service Award presented by Todd Portune, OKI Regional Council of Governments President and Hamilton County Commissioner.
Roger was the City Coordinator for the City of Florence, Kentucky from 1991-1999 and then City Administrative Officer for the City of Edgewood, Kentucky from 1999-2011 until his retirement in 2011. It is a pleasure to have working relationships with people like Roger. We wish him well in his retirement. However, today, we give a big salute to an amazing individual who made his career count! Congratulations, Roger!
This is a small part of Roger’s story and why he received the award.
While City Administrative Officer in Edgewood, Roger among other achievements, was responsible for obtaining $4,000,000 in grants for major road projects and for the construction of the Senior Center, he was responsible for the City being awarded a $500,000 Community Development Block Grant. He coordinated the design, construction, and obtained the financing of not only the Senior Center but also the $6,000,000 new City Building and Fire Station.
As City Coordinator of Florence, Roger was a key player in the continued growth of the City in the 90’s, which is the second largest city in Northern Kentucky. Among his achievements was the development of the Florence Government Center Campus. The $18,000,000 development created a focal point for the City combining city offices, Police Department, Florence Water and Sewer, Cinergy, Owen County Rural Electric Cooperative, Kentucky One Stop and the Boone County 911 Communications Center.
Awards and Designations:
• 2002, became the second ICMA Credentialed Manager in Kentucky
• 2003 City Administrator of the Year
• Honorary Life Member Kentucky City/County Manager’s Association
• 1 of 4 lay members to the Kentucky Bar Assn. Bd. Of Governors Discipline Panel
• Past Board Chairman Northern Kentucky Area Development District
• The only non-elected official to serve as President of the Northern Kentucky Municipal League
• Past President Northern Kentucky University Alumni Association
• Vice President of Norse Athletic Club at Northern Kentucky University
• Past Board Chairman and a Lieutenant on the Florence Volunteer Fire Department
• Chaired KCCMA panel providing assistance to a MPA student (NKU) on his Cap Stone project
Congratulations again. You deserve it Roger!